Friday, March 05, 2010

The Bucket's Oscar Picks


The Oscar telecast is almost upon us and I thought that I would weigh in on the biggest awards of the evening. Like many of the viewing public I haven't seen all of the nominees but I'm going to try to weigh in with as much info as I possibly can. You can watch the Oscars on ABC Sunday March 7th 8/5 central.

Leading Actor:


















Jeff Bridges
- Crazy Heart
George Clooney - Up In the Air
Colin Firth - A Single Man
Morgan Freeman - Invictus
Jeremy Renner - The Hurt Locker

The Bucket calls it for Jeff Bridges - HE'S A SHOE IN, according to me and pretty much everyone else. I have yet to see the Crazy Heart but I am well aware of Jeff Bridges ability and I would say it's about time. My gut tells me that he's the one that's gonna walk off with the Oscar. - Jeff
I will be SHOCKED if he does not win this. The movie was The Wrestler part 2 for me but Bridges performance in this one was heartbreaking. He truly shows the audience a man on the brink of self destruction. - Jen

Jeremy Renner -The RUNNER UP, even though Bridges is going to probably walk away with the award I'm kinda hoping that Jeremy Renner pulls an upset. It's a little unfair because I have seen the Hurt Locker and not Crazy Heart, but Renner is really fantastic in this role. -Jeff







Best Cinematography:






















Avatar
- Mauro Fiore
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Bruno Delbonnel
The Hurt Locker - Barry Ackroyd
Inglourious Basterds - Robert Richardson
The White Ribbon - Christian Berger

There is some disagreement between us at the Bucket as to who will win in this category. I think it will go to the Hurt Locker, with it's gritty and intense war scenes that perfectly capture the essence of the Iraq war. I definitely think it's warranted. Although I would personally lean toward Inglourious Basterds which looked beautiful and stylish, so I'm kind of leaning toward that. But there are others who believe Avatar is going to take the top prize, for obvious reasons. And don't get me wrong it was wonderful watching the film, but there is so much CGI it's hard to tell where the CGI ends and the cinematography begins.But I digress it'll be between Avatar and the Hurt Locker, with Avatar getting the edge. - Jeff

Supporting Actor:

Matt Damon - Invictus
Woody Harrelson - The Messenger
Christopher Plummer - The Last Station
Stanley Tucci - The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds

Now this category I'm pretty behind I have only seen one of the films listed here. Thankfully I've seen the one that most folks say will walk home with the oscar and that is German native Christoph Waltz who was amazing as Hans Landa, the Jew Hunter in Inglourious Basterds. After that first scene in the film I knew this guy would and should take the Supporting Actor award. The guy speaks 3 languages effortlessly and uses that to his advantage in this film. - Jeff

I would put money on Christoph Waltz. With his smooth and calculating demeanor, he has most definitely made my top 5 list of most terrifying villains. The beginning of the movie with him in the house with the glass of milk was brilliant. I am excited to see what this guy chooses to do next. He also seems like a real class act. - Jen

Leading Actress:













Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
Helen Mirren - The Last Station
Carey Mulligan - An Education
Gabourey Sidibe - Precious
Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia

It looks like this one has already been determined. Sandra Bullock is steamrolling her way to the win. I will admit I have not seen this movie but it just seems to cookie cutter for me and even worse it feels like it panders to the audience. Yeah I get it's based on a true story but it just feels like it rings false for me, and I really like Sandy and all but a best actress nod for, this? Personally I'd like to see Gabourey Sidibe get the award she plays a young woman in the Bronx who, unlike Oher from the Blind Side, is completely ignored by everyone. It's a horrifying film to watch but her performance absolutely stunning. It's a long shot but I'm really hoping for her. - Jeff

I honestly have no idea how this one will pan out. I never made it out to Julie & Julia but I hear Streep was fantastic. I love Bullock but I'm not sure her performance was Oscar worthy. I adore Carey Mulligan and based on performance I choose her - but I have a feeling she will be ignored as she is rather young and unknown. The air of mystery will make this one fun to tune in for. - Jen

Supporting Actress:

Penelope Cruz - Nine
Vera Farmiga - Up in the Air
Maggie Gyllenhaal - Crazy Heart
Anna Kendrick - Up In the Air
Mo'Nique - Precious

This also is sewn up for the right reasons in favor of Mo'nique and damn what a performance. I have never been a big fan of her's but when I saw her in this and I was blown away. Kendrick and Farmiga were very good in Up In the Air but they don't hold a candle to Mo'Nique. - Jeff

Mo'Nique - This is another one I would put money on. Her performance is so shocking and unpredictable in Precious. The villains will take over the supporting category this year. - Jen

Visual Effects:

Avatar
District 9
Star Trek

This one is fairly obvious as well but I really did love the effects in both District 9 and Star Trek, yeah I know the lens flare bothered a lot of people in Trek but I kind of dug it. In a normal year either one of these would be a shoe in to win but this is no average year. Avatar is going to take this by a large margin, so.... Avatar. Duh. - Jeff


Best Director:



Avatar - James Cameron
The Hurt Locker - Kathryn Bigelow
Inglourious Basterds - Quentin Tarentino
Precious - Lee Daniels
Up In the Air - Jason Reitman

This is a tough category for me, I really liked all of these films and thought that the direction was truly Oscar worthy from all, but there can be only one and so we have to choose between them. I think Bigelow is going to get this one and she truly deserves it. Although Jimmy could sneak in there I'm not sure if the Academy wants to give him another one, "I'm the King of the World, " um no. This needs to go to his ex-wife, damnit!- Jeff

Kathryn Bigelow - She has won so many of the other awards - I don't know how Cameron could win this one. - Jen

Best Picture:














Avatar Inglourious Basterds
The Blind Side Precious

District 9 A Serious Man

An Education Up

The Hurt Locker Up In the Air


So here we are at the cream of the crop the biggest award of the night. First off I am not a fan of adding 5 more nominees to the pot, I always thought five was enough. But there are some really good films on this list. I will start by saying that I think Avatar is going to walk away with this. It was an incredibly visual film and it made a boatload of cash, even now. It does deserve to win. But in some instances so does the Hurt Locker, it didn't make as much money it was a near perfect film. Also I wouldn't be doing it credit if I didn't mention District 9, which was a great movie too. Completely underrated in my mind. The way they told the story of Alien refugees informed and entertained us and it created a star out of Sharlto Copley. So I would hope that the Academy thought long and hard before voting, but I'm not gonna knock them if they end up voting for the blue people. - Jeff

AVATAR - To me this movie is on the level of Star Trek or District 9. All enjoyable movies, but win the Oscar? -I don't know. True he has done amazing things with the look of the film but my vote is not going to be for this one. - Jen

No comments: